I’m not known to be the lightest packer anymore. Many years ago I spent over six months travelling half the world with an incredibly small backpack. I was so scarred from having this teeny tiny pack that ever since then my cases have been getting larger and larger. The reasoning was so I wouldn’t have to go all out war with the zipper every travel day, but I just ended up travelling with more crap then I needed.
This trip I wanted to go pack to my first travelling roots, and take only what was essential. Weight and size kept to a minimum but when you’re travelling for photographic reasons.. that can be a challenge!!
Fujifilm to the rescue.
I think the best thing about mirrorless cameras, and Fujifilm in particular is the size and weight. Not just of the camera bodies – but the lenses as well.
So take a look at the video I shot while I was in Cape Leveque. It shows the bodies and lenses that I have been using on my latest trip. And below I list out my gear and what I generally use it all for.
I have also listed out briefly the bits and pieces of that have been of great help along the way.
- Fujifilm XT2 – Main Body. I love this camera so much. Its become a close friend where I no longer need light to adjust the settings. Its light weight and balance is so familiar to my hands.
- Fujifilm XT1 – Secondary and backup. The Plan B camera – also an old friend. My first mirrorless, I use this one if I think Ill need to have a different lens on hand quickly (eg Whale watching)
- Fujinon XF 10-24mm zoom – The most used for Landscapes / Seascapes / Escapes
- Fujinon XF 18-55mm zoom – The general use and the go to if I only want to carry one lens
- Fujinon XF 35mm F2 Prime – The Street and People Lens (makes everyone look good)
- Fujinon XC 50-230mm zoom – The Telephoto, Lower spec but still great results
- Fujinon XF 100-400mm zoom – A recent purchase for Sports (eg surfing) and Wildlife
- Samyang 12mm f2 Prime – The Astro Gun
- DJI Spark -cause its cute, little and light and still pops out great video and photos
- Tripods: Joby GorillaPod, Fotopro Carbon Fibre
- Filters: Formatt Hitech Holder with Polariser, Formatt Hitech ND1.2 and ND3, Nisi ND Grad, Circular polarisers and UV Protectors various sizes.
- Bits and Pieces: Cards x 3, Batteries x 4, Remote control, TTL Flashes, Power banks x 2, Headtorch, backup torch and Bluetooth JBL Clip Speaker for funky tunes